Wednesday, May 25, 2011

almost here

stripes of color....pink, blue, yellow

a true flow, no thought here.....wondering what will appear

what will surface in this empty, white page.

I am excited at the prospects of playing with what I have built.

Spending time with these sweet people that arrived.

Grown, with their own ideas and opinions and experiences to share.

I delight to watch their faces light up as I give them my full attention.

The irony in this is that as I typed that last line, I was called, twice, loudly and then looked up to find two children in the doorway, far past bedtime, interrupting my idyllic post about them. How very funny is that?

Perfect now, that I sit in a pint sized wooden chair at their doorway as I finish typing. The glow from my laptop becoming the night light.

The dog is barking outside, so loudly there is no chance of slumber and I surrender...I think of that new book that has taken parents by storm ...you know the one...go the f#&* to sleep. The one that would be offensive to pregnant first timers.. and absolutely hysterical to seasoned, exhausted vetrans.

I am so grateful for it all and really, I am looking forward to this summer with all of it's sides...sweet, fun, exhusting, infuriating, beautiful, hot, sandy and long...I embrace this year...the summer that our boy is 7, still both top front teeth to loose and our sweet girl, five, growing tall and over pink and purple and princesses, ready to start Kindergarten in the fall. I believe it to be a magical summer. A summer of love. One that I plan to cherish and hold close to my heart, as I know how quickly it will slip away, much like the sunset..amazing, bright and beautiful and gone in the blink of an eye.....can I cry now?

2 comments:

  1. I cry with you. Beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can! My visiting friend was talking about the markers anthrosophy onserves in children to show they ate ready for primary school- loss of teeth, and the one that choked me up was that 'the limitless fountain of imaginative play' begins to dry up. That made me panic. Dry up? Like, as in that one day it happened that little Jackie Paper came to see Puff no more, and that mighty dragon ceased his fearless roar? No, our kids can read about pirates and dragons later, for the rest of their life they can be in their heads.... now is the time they still believe they are pirates and dragons. Lets not miss it. We are doing no screen time this summer too, it is the time to be out playing.

    ReplyDelete